Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Like Discovering the Ocean

I have this friend, Matt Williams, who is a wonderfully talented musician.  Several years ago, he wrote a song entitled "Like Discovering the Ocean".  He recorded it with his band, Blueground Undergrass, and on a solo album.  There is also an epically ponytailed version on YouTube that I will link here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib6VoBpPiJE&feature=related

It is a beautiful tune and I had not heard it quite some time, but I was driving around in the jeep last Saturday with my iPod on shuffle when it came on and I was just blown away by the words in the chorus:
 "It's about like discovering the ocean, to find out that you're still in me".

Man, I was moved by those words and it just resonated with me because of all of the changes that have been going on in my life the past few months.  So much so, that I pulled over on the side of I-20 and texted Matt to thank him for penning that tune.  I'm sure he thought it odd that I would just text him out of the blue about a song he wrote along time ago, but I can't help it when I get a little goofy or a little emotional of late insomuch as all this new found love and joy in my heart is too powerful to keep bottled up.  Those words just summarized a whole lot of what I have been feeling.

Everyone remembers the first time they experienced the ocean.  The size of it was hard to comprehend.  It appeared to have no end.  It stretched as far as I could see and it was hard to tell where the earth stopped and the sky began.  I remember that it just roared with the sounds of the waves crashing into the shore and it's power was undeniable.  But even though it was awe-inspiring and intimidating, there was just something about it that compelled you to want to run right into it with reckless abandon; to just sprint right into those crashing waves with your arms wide open as if to embrace it.

"It's about like discovering the ocean; to find out that you're still in me".  Awesome.  I don't want to guess what Matt meant with those words, but to me it's the perfect description for how I have re-discovered my faith in God.  I was lost for a long long time, but when I turned to find Him, He was there, in me.  He never left me when I tried to do things my way without Him in my life.  And it is awe-inspiring and powerful and I'm just compelled to jump in and surround myself with His grace with my arms wide open. 

Thanks Matt.




No comments:

Post a Comment